Sunday, April 18, 2010

What's your favorite beer?

I'll admit it--I don't have one. I enjoy picking out new types of microbrews just to have my own little taste test.

Sierra Nevada Pale Ale is probably the closest I have a favorite beer.

Sometimes it depends on where I am and what I am doing. In Canada, I gotta have LaBatts Blue. Reminds me of old times. In the Bahamas, Carib was the best beer evah! Playing poker, while I can't usually stand lite beer, Coronna Lite with a wedge of lime ain't half bad. When I'm feeling particularly manly, I love "Hop Pockets." Bells Ale out of Kalamazoo Michigan is great when you can find it.

Two last confessions. I am a beer snob. I can barely tolerate the regular beers such as Bud, Miller and Coors. Only drink them if they are the only beer in town. Oh, yeah, and for a cheap buzz, I highly recommend "Steele Reserve." Taste pretty good, but kicks like a mule, so watch yourself...

John Doe

3 comments:

  1. I live as an expat in the Czech Republic... and haven't had a bad one here yet. Some of 'em are sent to the States like Pilsner Urquell and the original Budweiser, I saw Staropramen once in a pub in LA. But the problem is they're kind of skunky and/or stale by the time the get there.

    A German site that rates the best 10 in the world picked 6 Czech ones... and that's the Germans. In addition, Czechs drink the most beer per capita in the world, at 160 litres/yr... and that means for every man, woman, and child. There is almost no regulation either, you can walk down the street with a brew anywhere.

    And to rub-it-in... I drink "Velkopopovicky Kozel"... it's lovely, and an 18+oz bottle (500ml) is about 40 cents- I'm serious.

    http://www.beer-kozel.cz/agecheck.php?lang=cz

    If you like Canadian beer, you'd love this... same but better: light, crisp, flavorful. And when you tour the brewery, they have a big copper kettle in an old villa... the Miller brewery in LA looked like an auto factory.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I actually don't live far from that Miller plant. What you don't see is the 4 MILLION GALLONS of storage buried under that series of grassy knolls to the left and behind (from the freeway).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mackesen's Triple x stout, Reichelbrau, Kemnather Reut. In a pinch - Amber Bock, New Castle, Killians

    ReplyDelete