Monday, March 22, 2010
Open Letter To The GOP: BECOME THE PARTY OF YES
Mr. Steele, Ladies and Gentlemen of the Republican Party:
Allow me to introduce myself; My name is Lipton, and I am a registered Republican. I have been such since 1979. I am a veteran, and a true believer in the greatness of the United States of America. I have twice nearly given my life to allow all Americans the right to speak freely, so please allow me a moment to do so with you.
Ladies and gentlemen, I would like to start with the obvious - we live in uncertain and turbulent times. The world has become a place of uncertainty. Life moves at such a frantic pace it's often hard to keep up, and within this turbulence there are winds of uncertainty, distrust, despair, sadness and anger. Politically, the population at large has lost faith in the promise of fair representation given them by our Founding Fathers. And ladies and gentlemen, it saddens me to say you, our Republican leaders, have contributed to that.
I write you today to ask, no BEG, you to help bring some calmness, dignity and honor back to the hearts and minds of Republicans, and perhaps even those who sit across the aisle. I would like to offer this mans ideas on how to begin that process.
1. Give us leaders we can trust.
We need elected officials we can have faith in. We don't need angels or saints, but we do need leaders who display morality, courage, dignity and respect.
How can you expect us to show faith in leaders in whom we have no faith?
How can we give from our home, when our leaders destroy their own homes? And,
How can your constituents fight courageously for you when you show no courage in your convictions?
In short, Republicans cannot be the "moral", nor the "majority", with leaders we cannot trust.
2. Be inclusive - the right way.
Citizens want to have pride in their country. So do those who can here from other lands in search of a better life. Please do everything you can to help us rediscover that pride. Start by standing in defense of our borders, and not being afraid to label illegal passage over those borders illegal. At the same time, do what you can to make the process of entering America legally more accessible.
At last count, there were more than 307 million Americans. Which if course means there are many different kinds of Americans as well. Different races, religions, sexes, sexual orientations. Let them know that Republicans welcome them all. Then do what you can to prove it. We may disagree on any small number of issues but be willing to hear all who wish to contribute their voice.
3. Please, reestablish the sanctity of life.
4. Change, to become the Party of Yes.
Republicans have been called "The Party Of No". I submit Republicans NEED to be "The Party Of Yes".
* Yes, we can reestablished the Constitution as the unwavering standard in American government.
* Yes, we can restore the rights of all Americans. And yes, we can distinguish what are and are not rights.
* Yes, we can make the words "Government of the People, by the People and for the People" mean something once again.
* Yes, we can work to improve many quality of life issues such as the cost of health care, and security for the aged.
* Yes, we can reestablish integrity within the financial sector, strength in the manufacturing sector and allow the growth of free market enterprises.
* Yes, we can support innovation, technology, research and development across all verticals.
* Yes, we can do all these things - through judicious, limited government. Without expensive, onerous regulation. Without unnecessary and heavy-handed (and market-crippling) interventions.Without the waste of trillions of taxpayer dollars.
* Yes, we can let State and Local governments reclaim their Constitutional positions in the leadership ranks anf govern their populations without unnecessary intervention by a sprawling government.
* Yes, we can and will stand with our convictions - even when they seem unpopular. And yes, we can do so with dignity.
Ladies and gentlemen, thank you for your time. I hope you can find something to take away in this letter. In this mans humble opinion, The Republican Party has a small but distinct window of opportunity to embrace these ideas - along with many more not listed here - and guide America, and Americans, back to greatness. It will take time but if you hold the rudder steady, the ship will turn.
She's a remarkable craft, America is. I have faith she won't capsize in capable hands.
In closing, it is said that in the absence of true leadership people will move toward the loudest voice they hear. Woodrow Wilson once said "The ear of the leader must ring with voices of the people". Our current leaders seem to lack understanding of this. I also believe this is what happened within the Republican Party; it drowned out the voices of the people with its own. Ladies and gentlemen, the people of The United States hunger for true leadership, and true leaders. I pray you that in the coming days and weeks, Republicans will become just that.
Lipton T. Bagg